Low carb diets don’t work according to some experts. Others, equally sure, swear by them, and insist we just don’t understand or aren’t depriving ourselves enough. Most nutritionists will tell you that people crave carbs, and if you eliminate them from your diet, you’ll only want them all the more. Forbidden fruit.
Here are five simple, solid tips from The CarbLovers Diet Cookbook that may have you rethinking that ban on carbohydrates you’ve been struggling to stick to.
1. Low carb diets leave you feeling stressed and sad. A recent study by Australian researchers that appeared in the Archives of Internal Medicine followed 106 dieters for a year, half were on a low carb diet, the others were on a carb-rich diet. At the end of the year, the carb eaters were feeling happier, calmer and more focused than those who’d deprived themselves. Carbs are known to up the levels of mood regulating stress reducing brain chemicals, while high protein fatty foods might cause these levels to drop.
2. Low carb diets leave you fatter, not thinner. The stress and depression that most low carb dieters feel is enough, over time, to thwart even the best efforts to stay on track. The reason? Stress produces lots of hormones, like cortisol, that increase your appetite and make you vulnerable to binges according to obesity expert Elissa Epel, Ph.D. who is an associate professor in the department of psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco.
3. Low carb diets can’t be sustained over the long term. Most people can tough out a low carb diet for a time, but it’s quite another thing to do it for a lifetime. Studies show that people have a harder time sticking to low carb, as opposed to high carb, eating plans. In a recent Harvard University study of 322 dieters, just 78% stuck with their diet for up to two years, while almost 90% of those on a high carb diet were still following the eating plan at the end of the study period.
3 critical reasons you have cellulite…
Joey Atlas, a Women’s Body Enhancement Specialist is sharing his 4 step method to reducing cellulite.
No creams, vibrating machines, pill or special underwear…
Cellulite is not all about bad genetics… Learn subtle moves to wipe-out nasty dimples & bumps quickly.
Take a look at what women across 193 different countries have learnt makes the difference.
Click through now and discover how Joey can help…
*Disclosure: compensated affiliate*
5 Facts To Know About Low Carb Diets Continued…
4. Low carb diets bring bloating to your belly. According to the National Institute of Digestive Diseases, belly bloat is a key sign of constipation, and this is a common side effect of that low carb diet. In one study as many as 68% of participants on a low carb diet were complaining of constipation, compared to just 30% of the non dieting population, and 35% of dieters who were eating more carbs.
5. Low carb diets make people feel deprived, making dieters start to crave carbs according to a University of Toronto study of 89 women where half restricted the amount of carbs they ate, and the other half did not, When fed a test breakfast three days later and told to eat as they wished, the low carb dieters stuffed themselves, while the other women kept to their diets. The bottom line? Cut out carbs and it’s nearly impossible not to binge when you relax your guard.
While low carb diets are known for fast weight loss, much of what you lose in those early days is water, not fat. In the long run, the picture is not so clear and experts are likely to continue to argue the point. Remember, when it comes to weight loss, it’s the cutting of calories, and the increase in regular physical activity that is the tried and true formula for weight loss.
To your good health,