If you’ve been exercising regularly for eight full weeks and aren’t seeing any benefits, something isn’t right. Sometimes a little known setback might be working against your good intentions and regular effort. The good news is that being aware of the ways many people sabotage their workout can be the first step toward eliminating them from your own fitness routine.
So here are ten of the most common areas to watch…
1. Not warming up – an adequate and efficient routine to warm up your body is a vital component of any workout. Especially beneficial are ones that get you moving the same way as the exercise you’re about to perform.
2. Not eating enough – if you want to build muscle, you need to take in the right type of fuel. Without energy to burn the body turns to the source that’s most available, muscle protein, exactly the opposite of what you’re after.
3. Not using opposing movements (bench press paired with a row) – as this can cause an imbalance which often results in overuse injuries that can keep you out of the gym for a good while… months sometimes. Serious injuries are known to slow, likely reverse, any progress you’ve made.
4. Working in a limited range of motion - partial reps or working a limited range of motion can lead to a limited range of strength. Also when you use weights that are heavier than what you’re used to, you are at a much higher risk of injury.
5. Training for too much time - anything past 45 to 55 minutes can put the body into a negative hormonal state, this will have a negative impact on your goals of improved fitness. Hours in the gym are not what works best and can put you at risk for overtraining and injury.
6. Not resting between workouts – adaptations take place during the muscle recovery period (also known as rest) and these are essential to losing weight and building muscle. The body must recover and get back to homeostasis so it can build the muscle, burn the fat.
Fact: Poor Sleep Increases The Risk of Death/ Disease
Ever lain awake at night and counted the hours till dawn? Isn’t frustrating to be in bed and be unable to sleep?
With around 18 million prescriptions written every year for expensive sleeping pills…
…it’s clear that there’s a national epidemic.
So, what do doctors do when they can’t sleep?
Click through today to discover the 7 mistakes that are killing your sleep, and how overcome them…
*Disclosure: compensated affiliate*
10 Ways Your Workout Won’t Work Continued…
7. Not getting enough sleep – deprives the body of the chance to let hormones that help build muscle, burn fat, work while the body is at rest. At least 7 to 9 hours a night is a good guideline for how much sleep to be getting.
8. Texting leads to longer rest periods than normal. It can also divert your focus, keeping you from being fully ready to lift or perform. The number of reps you can do might also go down, sabotaging all the effort you’re putting in.
9. Talking too much – can actually decrease the metabolic effect of your exercise. When rest intervals get too long, the body cools down, leading to a slower metabolism. Talking also shifts your focus from exercise to conversation.
10. Copying other exercises – you can do the move incorrectly, and just because it looks like something you can do, doesn’t mean you are ready for it.
Once you remove these from your workout, see how much better you do, and start enjoying the results your hard work and regular effort deserve.
To your good health,